People with disabilities have their right to participate in higher education protected under the German Constitution (“Grundgesetz”, articles 3 and 20), the Higher Education Framework Act (“Hochschulrahmengesetz”, section 2, para. 4), the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (“Behindertenrechtkonvention der Vereinten Nationen”, article 24), each state’s Higher Education Act (“Landeshochschulgesetz”) and the examination regulations (“Prüfungsordnung”).
Such disabilities might be:
- mobility, visual, speech and/or hearing impairments
- psychological disorders (e.g. depression)
- chronic illnesses (e.g. rheumatism, Crohn’s disease and diabetes)
- dyslexia and other learning disabilities
- other diseases (e.g. cancer diseases)
We can offer advice on topics such as how to organise your day-to-day life as a student, individual disability compensations, the intricacies of social legislation, and personal aspects.